GOLDEN SLIPPER STAKES (Group 1)
The Golden Slipper Stakes is an Australian Turf Club horse race for two year olds run at Rosehill Racecourse in Sydney run over 1,200 metres at set weights. Have a BONUS BET on the Golden Slipper Stakes. Up to $700.00 courtesy of Luxbet: It is the premier two year old race in Australia and is the world’s richest race for two-year-olds. From 2009 the Golden Slipper Stakes will be held on the first Saturday in April. In 2008 it was held in mid April, four weeks after Easter in March. Prior to 2008, the race was held on the Saturday before Good Friday in conjunction with a series of races known as the Golden Slipper Carnival. The Golden Slipper Stakes was first run in 1957 with prize money of 20,000 pounds. Golden Slipper Stakes day is one of the biggest day’s racing anywhere in the world with four other Group 1 races, including the BMW Stakes, Storm Queen Stakes, George Ryder Stakes, and Queen Of The Turf Stakes. More Horse Racing Tips here including Afl Bets
GOLDEN SLIPPER STAKES
|Race Type:||2yo – Set Weights|
Punters GuideThe Golden Slipper Stakes always attracts the very best 2yo gallopers each every year. There are a number of lead up races for 2 year olds prior to the Golden Slipper Stakes at Rosehill. These races includes the Reisling Stakes, the Magic Night Stakes for fillies, the Todman Stakes and the Pago Pago Stakes for colts & geldings. The event has some impressive records starting with the four consecutive wins by jockey R.S Dye from 1989 to 1992 with Courtza from New Zealand, Canny Lad, Tierce and Burst. Jockey Ron Quinton also managed to win four Golden Slipper Stakes in 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1987 with Marscay, Sir Dapper, Rory’s Jester and Marauding from New Zealand. Renowned trainer Tommy J. Smith won the race with six horses; Star Watch in 1988, Bounding Away in 1986, Toy Show in 1975, Hartshill in 1974, John’s Hope in 1972 and Fairy Walk in 1971. The fastest winning time was recorded in 2004 when Dance Hero won in 1 minute 8.6 seconds. Canny Lad recorded the slowest race time in 1990 with 1 minute 15.41 seconds. Get free bets at https://www.betsfree.com.au
- The very first Golden Slipper was run in 1957 with prize money being 20,000 pounds.
- Only 2 of 10 Golden Slipper Stakes Favourites have won in the past 10 years – a thought to keep in mind for when betting on the Golden Slipper Stakes.
- In the last thirty years, horses from barriers 1 through to 5 have won thirteen times, in which barrier 1 has had winners six of those thirteen winners.
- The Golden Slipper Stakes prize money worth AU$3.500,000 is the largest prize for a 2-year-old race in the world.
- The Trainer with the most wins for this race is T.J. Smith (6), followed by Gai Waterhouse (5) and then J.B. Cummings, Clary E Conners and Lee Freedman each with (4).
- The Jockeys with the most wins for the Golden Slipper Stakes is Ron Quinton and Shane Dye each with (4), followed by Mick Dittman, Keven Langby and Athol Mulley each with (3).
- Shane Dye is the only jockey to have ridden 4 AAMI Golden Slipper Stakes winners in a row – Courtza (1989), Canny Lad (1990), Tierce (1991) and Burst (1992). Born: September 26, 1966 in New Zealand
- The first apprentice to win the Golden Slipper Stakes was Wayne Harris in 1979 on the Bart Cummings trained Century Miss. The only other apprentice to win the event was Darren Beadman winning in 1984 on Inspired and trained by Theo Green.
- The largest crowd to attend the races for the Golden Slipper Stakes was in 1969 with 40,058 when Vain won the race.
- The Magic Night Stakes run over 1200 metres for fillies is an execellent guide to the Golden Slipper Stakes with winners of both races include Toy Show (1975), Century Miss (1979), Dark Eclipse (1980), Bounding Away (1986) and Bint Marscay (1993).
- Since 2009 the Slipper is held on the 1st Saturday in April. In 2008 it was held in mid-April, 4 weeks after Easter in March. Before to 2008, the Slipper was run on the Saturday before Good Friday along with a group of races called the Golden Slipper Carnival.
- The 2013 edition of this race was run as the Tooheys New Golden Slipper.
- Golden Slipper Day also includes four other Group 1 events; Queen of the Turf Stakes, Storm Queen Stakes, George Ryder Stakes and The BMW.
- The official field for the Golden Slipper is not announced until the week leading up to the race. Free Bets, Betting and Promotions on the race here.